Sunday, August 15, 2010

First week with McGill Tri Club

So, I found what is going to be taking taking up most of my free time in the near future.  This week, I started working out with the McGill Triathlon Club.  It is a lot of time to put in, but it is going to be awesome, and it is going to help me get a lot better, and force me to stick with my training over the winter.  Here is a breakdown of the week:

Monday:  Rest day.  I like how this is starting out already...


Tuesday:  
morning:  6:30 swim.  Drills with the coach.  If I'm not mistaking, I did just over 2100m before having to leave for work.  Felt like a good swim, hard work, but got some coaching, which should help a lot.  Going to keep focusing on my stroke and form.
evening:  Bike up/down the mountain.  Wow, was that a heck of a workout.  Laps up and down the mountain on a switchback type road.  Long workout, and hard, but I know that I need to work on my climbing, so it is a necessary evil.  I logged the workout as just over 20k in just over an hour, but those are just estimates.  Climbing is going to get better, but it will take some time and some pain.  


Wednesday:  Track run.  Today was a lot of running, and fast.  It was a speed workout, and I ran way faster than I should have, but all in all, it was a fun workout.  Turns out I like running at the track.  Will work on speed endurance there next week.


Thursday:  Supposed to be a swim workout, but I didn't get there on time, thanks to traffic.  Too bad, would have been a fun 3.5k.


Friday:  Mountain run.  Really fun, and pretty, run up the mountain.  12 minutes up @ 10k effort, 3 minutes recovery, 12 minutes down @ 10k effort, 3 minutes recovery.  5 up, 5 down faster than 10k effort.  Hard work, but fun run.  This will, also, help with my speed.  


Saturday:  LONG bike ride.  It turned out to be around 70km, with a 30km time trial worked in, along with a 10k paceline.  This was a super fun workout.  I am getting to know my bike and my biking capabilities, and I am realizing that I am a fairly strong cyclist.  I can get really make up some time here.  


Sunday:  OW Beach swim.  I didn't go to it, but it probably would have been fun.  


So far, I love working out with the club.  Everyone is super nice, the coaching is a huge help, and it is nice to be accountable to them.  It isn't a demanding club, but I plan on going to all the practices that I possibly can, and really get better.  Only time will tell.  The only way to get better is to put in the miles, so that is what I will do.  Time to get better for next season!

1 comment: